-This series attempts to answer some of the questions I get asked everywhere and all the time. Since apparently total strangers are just dying to know the intimate details of our lives and, well, mostly because it's just therapeutic for me to answer it all in a way that I can't when I'm asked while standing in the checkout line busy with small children pulling everything from the shelves.-
ARE YOU DONE HAVING KIDS NOW?
My answer:
Let me start by saying that this is a loaded question since it is almost aways asked in a way that implies you have done something wrong by having as many kids as you've already got. Nevertheless, people still feel the need to ask it just about everywhere I go. Ignoring the obnoxious insinuation that they should have some say in my procreation habits and putting aside my overwhelming desire to allow my kids to wipe something sticky and colorful on these people, I do usually answer the question as such- Nope, Someone's got to make up for everyone else's lack of ambition.
But seriously, who knows? Neither of us have permanently turned off the hose and we seem to get pregnant just using the same soap in the shower. I won't limit God and if he wants to bless our family with another little miracle or three, I'd be thrilled. All five of our kids were beautiful oopsies and in retrospect, they came at the perfect time and under the perfect circumstances. His plans for our family trump mine and he's proven five times now that the plan is exceptional. I love having a "larger" family and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the positive impact that it's had on all the kids the past couple years.
However, if he chooses to cut us off at five, I'm good with that too. It's no secret that I hate babies, so in a way I'd love to be "done" and never have to go through that cruel and unusual sleepless punishment again. I also love having the ability to get in there and really get dirty with my kids. It kills me when I have to answer questions like "Mom, will you jump on the trampoline with me??" with a reply like "I can't, the baby (or babies as the case may be) need me right now". I'd love to have all my kids get to an age where I don't have to hang back with the baby every time they want to go on an adventure. But then, I know that age won't last and, soon enough they'll be to an age where they don't need or even want me around on their adventures. At which point I'm sure I'd give anything to have the baby back again. So I gladly take what he gives me and know that he has a perfect and wonderful plan for our family- despite what others at the checkout line might think.
My husbands answer:
"Pshhhhhh YES!"
Mars and Venus, what else can I say? :)


Shoot, I get this with just my b/g twins! "your done right? You got your boy & girl, that's perfect!"
ReplyDeleteEven though we are done, I still think it's kind of rude to say. Oh well. Some people's children... :-)
Stopping by from the MAM Follow me link up. Hope you can stop by and check out my giveaway.
Janice of http://mommawords.com